Mountain Runner of the Year Award Criteria
Recognizing outstanding athletic achievement in mountain running by male and female athletes in the open and masters divisions.
The Mountain/Ultra/Trail (MUT) Council of USATF Long Distance Running will select the USATF Mountain Runners of the year based on nominations received from interested athletes, coaches, and administrators involved in the sport. The following is the selection criteria for the USATF Mountain Runners of the Year:
1) Nominated athlete must show top results in US mountain/trail competitions - this will include mountain races (these may be on paved/gravel surfaces as long as there is significant elevation loss or gain) and trail races of varying lengths below the ultra distance. (There is a separate category to nominate USATF ultra runners of the year)
2) The nomination window includes the period: Nov 1 through Oct 31.
3) Show top results in international competitions.
4) Be an ambassador for the sport - athlete promotes and supports mountain running.
5) Results from US Mountain Selection races to be considered.
6) Be a USATF member - athlete MUST have a current USATF membership card.
7) To be considered for the masters category, athlete must be a minimum of 40 years old.
To nominate an athlete, send BY NOVEMBER 1, the following information to Nancy Hobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also fax a nomination to Nancy at (719) 573-4408:
Nominated athlete's name, age or birth date (if you know it), athlete contact information, brief bio, reason for nomination.
Nominations received by November 1 will be considered in the selection process. After all nominations are received the MUT sport council will vote for the mountain runner of the year from nominations received. The USATF Mountain Runners of the Year will be announced at the annual convention in December of each year.
Mountain Runner Award winners.