January 7, 2009
2009 USATF 100 km Team Qualification Guidelines
The USATF 100 km National Team will compete in the 2009 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 100 km World Cup Under the Patronage of the IAAF in Torhout, Belgium on June 19, 2009. The annual 100 km World Cup race is the one international venue at which USA Track & Field (USATF) has fielded an ultra distance team for over a decade. The United States will be represented by the USATF 100 km Team of up to six men and up to six women ultrarunners. The team and alternates will be selected by the USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail (MUT) Running Council which was established in 1998 to help USATF administer ultrarunning in the United States.
Window: June 19, 2007 - March 22, 2009
Team Announced: March 29, 2009
Standards for Consideration for 2009 US National 100 km Team
To be considered for the USA 100 km National Team, American runners must be current USATF members and meet one of the following qualification standards.
1. American athletes who finish in the top 10 men or women at the 2008 IAU 100 Km World Cup will receive automatic team selection.
2. The winner of the 2009 USA 100 km championship (if contested) will receive automatic team selection if fewer than 6 athletes are selected by #1 above.
3. The top American male and female finishers at the 2008 IAU 100 Km World Cup will be selected into the pool if they place in the top 15 overall for their gender.
4. Athletes who meet the following qualifying standards between June 19, 2007 and March 22, 2009 will be selected into the pool:
Road 100km: Sub 7:20:00 (Men) or Sub 8:40:00 (Women)
Road 50 Mile: Sub 5:40:00 (Men) or Sub 6:40:00 (Women)
5. Athletes who meet the respective qualifying standards at any of the following four well established trail races also will be considered:
a. JFK 50 Mile (11/22/08): Sub 6:00:00 (Men) or Sub 7:15:00 (Women)
b. Sunmart 50 Mile (12/06/08): Sub 5:50 (Men) or Sub 6:45 (Women)
c. American River 50 Mile (04/05/08): Sub 5:50:00 (Men) or Sub 6:50 (Women)
d. Ice Age 50 Mile (05/10/08): Sub 6:10:00 (Men) or Sub 7:20:00 (Women)
- See the Performance List for a list of athletes who have met at least one of the criteria above.
Team Selection Process
Athletes will be named to the team from the team selection pool using the following procedures:
1. Athletes will be named to the team based on the order of the criteria above until all the team spots are filled. Priority will be assigned to 100 km road performances, as that is the actual race distance, but 50 mile road and designated trail race performances (see above) will be evaluated and the better performance overall will have precedence. Athletes not automatically selected to the team through standards 1-3 above will be selected according to best performances within qualifying guidelines.
2. If fewer than 6 athletes achieve the qualifying standards for consideration, no fewer than 4 athletes (three scoring and one additional) will be named based on performance.
3. If more than 6 athletes achieve the qualifying standards for consideration, up to 3 alternates (i.e., 6 team members and 3 alternates) will be named sequentially based on performance.
Alternates must meet the same standards for consideration based on performance (above).
Alternates are encouraged to prepare, as they may be named to compete at any time if one of the other team members is unable to compete.
Selected athletes and alternates will be notified on or before March 25, 2009, with an official team announcement to follow.