November 26, 2007
2008 USATF 100 km Team Qualification Guidelines
The USATF 100 km National Team will compete in the 2008 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 100 km World Cup Under the Patronage of the IAAF in Tuscania, Italy on November 8, 2008. The annual 100 km World Cup race is the one international venue at which USA Track & Field (USATF) has fielded an ultra distance team for over a decade. The United States will be represented by the USATF 100 km Team of up to six men and up to six women ultrarunners. The team and alternates will be selected by the USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail (MUT) Running Council which was established in 1998 to help USATF administer ultrarunning in the United States.
Window: May 8, 2007 - August 10, 2008
Team Announced: August 13, 2008
Standards for Consideration for 2008 US National 100 km Team
To be considered
for the USA 100 km National Team, American runners must be current USATF members
and meet one of the following qualification standards.
1) Top 10 finish at 2007 IAU 100km World Cup receives automatic Team selection to 2008 IAU 100km World Cup.
2) Winner at the 2008 USATF 100 =km National Championship (if contested) receives automatic Team selection (provided six (6) athletes not selected by procedure 1 listed above) to IAU World Cup (2nd and 3rd place finishers must meet time standards for 100km listed in items 4 and 5 which follow and will be considered chronologically with other 100km performances)
3) Top American at IAU 100km World Cup 2007 if placed in top 15 overall (gender specific) receives automatic Team selection to 2008 IAU 100km World Cup.
Athletes who meet the following qualifying standards between May 8, 2007 and August 10, 2008 will be placed into the selection pool:
4) Road 100km Sub 7:20:00 (Men) or Sub 8:40:00 (Women)
5) Road 50 Mile Sub 5:40:00 (Men) or Sub 6:40:00 (Women)
6) Additionally, performances at any of the following four well established trail races will be considered as follows:
a. JFK 50 Mile (November 17, 2007): Sub 6:00:00 (Men) or Sub 7:15:00 (Women)
b. Sunmart 50 Mile (December 8, 2007): Sub 5:50 (Men) or Sub 6:45 (Women)
c. American River 50 Mile (April 5, 2008): Sub 5:50:00 (Men) or Sub 6:50 (Women)
d. Ice Age 50 Mile (May 10, 2008): Sub 6:10:00 (Men) or Sub 7:20:00 (Women)
If fewer than 6 athletes achieve qualifying standards for consideration, no less than 4 (three scoring and one additional) athletes will be selected based on performance.
If more than 6 athletes achieve standards for consideration, alternates (up to 3) will be named sequentially based on performance.
Athletes will be named to the team based on the order of the criteria above until all the team spots are filled.
Priority will be assigned to 100km road performances, as that is the actual race distance, but 50 mile road and designated trail race (above) performances will be evaluated and the better performance overall will have precedence.
encouraged to prepare, as they may be named to compete at any time should one of
the team members become unable to compete.
Alternates must meet the same standards for consideration based on performance (above).
Athletes not automatically selected to the USA 100km National Team through standards 1-3 above will be selected according to best performances within qualifying guidelines.
Selected athletes and alternates will be notified on or before August 13, 2008, with an official team announcement to follow.