October 21, 2005
Selecting the 2006 USATF 100 km Team
The USATF 100 km National Team will compete in the 2006 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 100 km World Cup Under the Patronage of the IAAF in Korea on October 8, 2006. The annual 100 km World Cup race is the one international venue at which USA Track & Field (USATF) has fielded an ultra distance team for over a decade. The United States will be represented by the USATF 100 km Team of up to six men and up to six women ultrarunners. The team and alternates will be selected by the USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail (MUT), Running Council which was established in 1998 to help USATF administer ultrarunning in the United States.
2006 USATF 100 km Team Qualification Guidelines
Qualifying Window: April 1, 2005- June 30, 2006
Team Selection Date: July 10, 2006
Team Announced: July 12, 2006
To be considered for the USATF 100 km team, American runners must be current USATF members and meet one of the following qualification standards.
Standards for Consideration for 2006 US National 100 km Team
1) Top 10 finish at 2005 World Cup receives automatic Team selection to 2006 World Cup.
2) Winner at 2006 USATF 100 km National Championship (if contested) receives automatic Team selection (provided 6 athletes not selected by procedures 1) to World Cup (2nd and 3rd place finishers must meet time standards for 100Km listed in items 4 and 5 and will be considered chronologically with other 100Km performances)
3) Top American at World Cup 2005 if placed in top 15 overall (gender specific) receives automatic Team selection to 2006 World Cup.
4) Road 100 km Sub 7:20:00 (Men) or Sub 8:40:00 (Women)
5) Road 50 Mile Sub 5:40:00 (Men) or Sub 6:40:00 (Women)
6) Additionally, performances at any of the following four well established trail races will be considered as follows:
a. JFK 50 Mile (November 19, 2005): Sub 6:00:00 (Men) or Sub 7:15:00 (Women)
b. American River 50 Mile (April 1, 2006): Sub 5:50:00 (Men) or Sub 6:50 (Women)
c. Sunmart 50 Mile (December 11, 2005): Sub 5:50 (Men) or Sub 6:45 (Women)
d. Ice Age 50 Mile (May 13, 2006): Sub 6:10:00 (Men) or Sub 7:20:00 (Women)
If fewer than 6 athletes achieve qualifying standards for consideration, no less than 4 (three scoring and one additional) athletes will be selected based on performance.
If more than 6 athletes achieve standards for consideration, alternates (up to 3) will be named sequentially based on performance.
Alternates are encouraged to prepare, as they may be named to compete at any time should one of the team members become unable to compete.
Alternates must meet the same standards for consideration based on performance (above).
Athletes not automatically selected to the US 100 km Team through standards 1-3 above will be selected according to best performances within qualifying guidelines.
2006 USATF 100 km Team Qualification Information
Runners interested in qualifying for the 2006 team may submit running resumes but resumes are not required to be considered for the team. The performance list is maintained by MUT and is available here.
Please notify MUT webmaster Lorraine Gersitz if you have run a qualifying time that does not appear on the list.Selected runners and alternates will be notified on or before July 12, 2006 with an official team announcement to follow. Interested runners who would like more information about the US 100K Team should contact Nancy Hobbs or any member of the MUT Running Council.
For more information on the IAU 100 km World Cup visit - http://www.iau.org.tw/