Training Library - Hydration
Below are five documents on the subject of hydration for long distance
running. Document #3 is the USATF official position paper on this subject.
- A USATF press release that provides an overview of our new
understanding of hydration along with what has changed and why.
- A more technical description of the major changes in our
understanding of hydration. It provides an overview of the history of
efforts to deal with hydration, heat illness and related medical challenges
over time, and it describes major failures in our former understanding of
- Detailed guidelines on dealing with hydration
based on our new understanding.
- A one-page instruction sheet that presents the USATF
Self-Testing Program for Optimal Hydration.
- Some additional hydration advice to prepare for race day. These are not
USATF official guidelines, but rather they are suggestions from the medical
director of a few large marathons.
- Press release: USATF
announces major change in hydration guidelines
- IMMDA Advisory Statement on Guidelines for
Fluid Replacement During Marathon Running (PDF)
Tim Noakes, MBChB, MD, FACSM
- Proper Hydration for Distance Running -
Identifying Individual Fluid Needs (PDF)
Douglas J. Casa, PhD, ATC, FACSM
- USATF Self-Testing Program for Optimal Hydration
- Fluids on Race Day (PDF)
Lewis G. Maharam, MD, FACSM