Team Selection Criteria
The following criteria will be used to select athletes into the team
selection pool. Selection into the team selection pool does not guarantee
that an athlete will be named to the team.
To be considered for the USA 100 km National Team, American runners must be
current USATF members and meet one of the following qualification standards.
- American athletes who finish in the top 10 men or women at the 2007 IAU
100 km World Cup will receive automatic team selection.
- The winner of the 2008 USA 100 km Championships (if contested) will
receive automatic team selection if fewer than 6 athletes are selected
by #1 above.
- The top American male and female finishers at the 2007 IAU 100 km World Cup will
be selected into the pool if they place in the top 15 overall
for their sex.
- Athletes who meet the following qualifying standards between May 8, 2007
and August 10, 2008 will be selected into the pool:
|100 km road
|50 mi. road
- Athletes who meet the respective qualifying standards at any of the following four well
established trail races also will be considered:
|JFK 50 Mile (11/17/07)
|American River 50 Mile (4/5/08)
|Sunmart 50 Mile (12/8/07)
|Ice Age 50 Mile (5/10/08)
- See the Performance Lists for a list of
athletes who have met at least one of the criteria above.
Team Selection Process
Athletes will be named to the team from the team selection pool using the
- Athletes will be named to the team based on the order of the criteria
above until all the team spots are filled. Priority will be assigned to
100 km road performances, as that is the actual race distance, but 50
mile road and designated trail race performances (see above) will be evaluated and the better performance
overall will have precedence. Athletes not automatically selected to the
team through standards 1-3 above will be selected according to best
performances within qualifying guidelines.
- If fewer than 6 athletes achieve the qualifying standards for
consideration, no fewer than 4
athletes (three scoring and one additional) will be named based
- If more than 6 athletes achieve the qualifying standards for
consideration, up to 3 alternates
(i.e., 6 team members and 3 alternates) will be named sequentially based on performance.
Alternates must meet the same standards for consideration based on
Alternates are encouraged to prepare, as they may be named to compete at any
time if one of the other team members is unable to compete.
Selected athletes and alternates will be notified on or before August 13,
with an official team announcement to follow.