Science and Sports Medicine
Race Walk Committee Report for 2015
Here are the race walk activities for this past year:
1) Events and held in Feb, 2015:
a) I offered and taught a Race Walk Officials/Judges clinic Feb, 1, 2015 at Thomas Jefferson Rec Center where I had 10 people
attend. As a result of the clinic, we added three new apprentice officials/judges.
b) Potomac Valley Track Club hosted the 3000m Indoor East Region Race Walk Championship at
Thomas Jefferson Rec Center in Arlington, VA. We had a good attendance and had athletes come
from as far away as New York.
2) Potomac Valley Track Club continues to be leader in providing opportunites for adults and youth to
learn and participate in Race Walking events and clinics.
a) Race walks and clinics were held during the months of January and February as part of their all
b) Race walks and clinics were held during the months of June, July and August as part of their all
c) In September, 2015; the Potomac Valley Games offered various distance opportunities and we had
both youth and adults in attendance.
3) Potomac Valley Track Club and myself offered a unique RW clinic on September 26‐27 at James
Madison HS, Vienna, VA to introduce two time Olympian Tim Seaman and noted Race Walk author Jeff
Salvage to present a weekend long camp for both youth and adults. We had over 40 people in
attendance and it was standing room only to hear the lectures and participate in the clinic work outs
(stretches, drills and video/photo analysis).
a) During the clinic, PVTC also hosted the Tim Good Memorial One Hour Postal Association
Championship on Sunday, Sep 27. We had 14 athletes compete which included many of the clinic
4) Non‐judged walking opportunities (races) are also held as part of the PVTC Ed Barron Holiday Race
Series. There are awards given to walkers.
a) I would also like to acknowledge those youth clubs for their willingness to add race walking to their
track program. Special note that Woodlawn Track Pack had two youth members (D’Amaie & Jadon
Davis) both place in the Top 8 at Junior Olympics in Florida. Jadon Davis, has been nominated for
the USATF National Race Walk Committee Honor Roll. The Davis’s have been invited to participate
in the Elite Junior RW Camp that will be held in December.
5) Youth Development – PVTC Young Flyers program this fall (October – December) have included race walk
instruction. The camp is held each Sunday, 3‐5 pm at Thomas Jefferson Rec Center in Arlington, VA.
6) Olympic 50K hopeful, Steve Washburn is currently attending George Mason University. We have been assisting
him with his training by providing bike support and aid station. Thank you to those PVTC members that have
stepped up to help. He plans to compete in the upcoming Olympic Trials in Feb, 2016.
7) There has been other opportunities for race walkers in the PVA association such as Maryland Senior Olympics,
NOVA Senior Olympics, East Region Masters Indoor & Outdoor Championship, PVA Association Championship,
Potomac Valley Games, etc.
Respectfully Submitted, Becky Klein