USATF Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course
The USATF Coaching Education Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course is intended for pole vault coaches or volunteers at any level. The primary objective is to emphasize the importance of safety by presenting risk management factors as well as technical components of the pole vault. The Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course covers equipment specifications, rules, fundamentals, and instruction techniques. The course prepares an individual to coach the pole vault.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Attend a Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course
- Pass an exam
- Recognition as having taken the USATF Pole Vault course
- Curriculum book covering fundamentals and risk management
- Skills and knowledge to coach pole vault athletes
About the Course
Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Courses are three-hour courses that are spent on risk/safety management and related technical components. The course is primarily classroom training. Attendance at all sessions is required.
The course covers the following topics:
- Equipment Specifications and Rules
- Basic Pole Vault Technique
- Instruction Techniques for the Pole Vault
- Safety Considerations for Teaching the Vault
- Common Pole Vaulting Misconceptions and Errors
- Pole Choice and Standard Placement
The cost for a Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course is $45.00 for pre-registration or $50.00 at the door.
After the school, participants must complete and return a take-home exam.
Upon passing the exam and fulfilling the other requirements (see above), participants will be issued a certificate signifying their successful completion of the USATF Pole Vault Instruction and Safety Course.
How to Apply
- Locate a course
- Complete the Registration Form (PDF)
- Send the completed form and payment to the person indicated in the course listing
Hosting a Course
Following is a list of instructors. Please contact one of the following individuals if you or your organization would like a course offered in your area.